Western Governors have launched the Western Invasive Species Council (WISC) to enhance coordination between existing state invasive species councils, improve communication and collaboration on regional biosecurity and invasive species control efforts, and to advocate for regional needs at the federal level.
The Governors authorized creation of the council through the WGA Policy Resolution Biosecurity and Invasive Species Management. At that time, they also directed that the work of WISC initially be coordinated through WGA to address cross-boundary and cross-jurisdictional invasive species management challenges.
WGA is pleased to announce that the Governors of 17 western states and territories have appointed members to the WISC. The members include:
- Alaska: Tammy Davis, Invasive Program Species Coordinator, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- Arizona: Ty Gray, Director, Arizona Game and Fish Department
- California: Kevin Shaffer, Fisheries Branch Chief, California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Colorado: Zach Pierce, Senior Policy Advisor, Energy & Natural Resources, Office of Governor Jared Polis
- Hawai’i: Josh Atwood, Invasive Species Coordinator, Hawai’i Department of Land and Natural Resources
- Idaho: Lloyd Knight, Administrator, Division of Plant Industries, Idaho State Department of Agriculture
- Kansas: Chris Steffen, Aquatic Nuisance Species Coordinator, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism
- Montana: Stephanie Criswell, Invasive Species Program Manager, Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (WISC Vice-Chair)
- North Dakota: Jessica Howell, ANS Coordinator, North Dakota Game and Fish
- New Mexico: James Dominguez, AIS Coordinator, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
- Nevada: Jon Sjöberg, Fisheries Chief, Nevada Department of Wildlife
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands: Joaquin Ogumoro, Director of Agriculture, CNMI Division of Agriculture
- Oklahoma: Dr. Karen Hickman, Professor and Director, Environmental Science, Oklahoma State University
- Oregon: Dr. Helmuth Rogg, Director, Plant Protection and Conservation, Oregon Department of Agriculture
- Utah: Brian Steed, Director, Utah Department of Natural Resources
- Washington: Justin Bush, Executive Coordinator, Washington Invasive Species Council (WISC Chair)
- Wyoming: Slade Franklin, Weed and Pest Coordinator, Wyoming Department of Agriculture
The newly formed WISC will soon begin working to improve coordination of invasive species management in western states.
Get the latest news about the West and its governors by following the Western Governors' Association on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.