The Western Governors' Association hosted the webinar, "Land Management Conflict: Current Litigation and the Future of Alternative Dispute Resolution," on April 6, 2017 as part of WGA's series for the National Forest and Rangeland Management Initiative.
This webinar examined the causes and effects of litigation over federal natural resource decisions, and the potential to use alternative dispute resolution in concert with (or in lieu of) traditional litigation. Panelists also discussed the role that federal courts play in resolving resource management disagreements and successful strategies for minimizing litigation risk, as well as whether (and how) the current system could be improved.
- Moderator: David Dreher, President, Foresight LLC
- Panelists: Jim Riley, Principal, Riley and Associates; Laura Ziemer, Senior Counsel and Water Policy Advisor, Trout Unlimited; Susan Jane Brown, Wildlands Program Director and Staff Attorney, Western Environmental Law Center; Chris French, Director, Ecosystem Management Coordination, U.S. Forest Service.
The Chairman's Initiative of Montana Gov. Steve Bullock enables states and land managers to share best practices and policy options for forest and rangeland management. (Learn more)
Watch recordings of the previous Chairman's Initiative webinars:
- Managing Electricity Reliability Risks on Forests and Rangeland
- The Future of Wild Horse and Burro Management: Challenges and Opportunities
- Rangeland Management Strategies and Tools