Western Governors' National Forest and Rangeland Management Initiative on Dec. 1 in Deadwood, S.D.South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard will address the next workshop of the
The two-day (Dec. 1-2) workshop is the third in a series hosted across the West by the Western Governors' Association for the central policy initiative of WGA Chair and Montana Gov. Steve Bullock. (Learn more and watch sessions from the previous workshops in Missoula, Mont., and Boise, Idaho.)
The initiative is designed to examine forest management programs and investigate collaborative forest landscape restoration. The workshops will play a central role in collecting information that will position Western Governors to recommend and promote congressional efforts to improve forest management authorities.
Here's where to find the livestreams for all workshop sessions (all times MT):
THURSDAY, DEC. 1
- (11:45 a.m.) Welcome, Introductory Remarks: Gov. Dennis Daugaard, South Dakota
- (12:30 p.m.) Roundtable: The South Dakota Experience: Greg Josten, State Forester, South Dakota Department of Agriculture (SDDA); Jim Neiman, Neiman Enterprises Inc.; Karl Jensen, South Dakota Association of Conservation Districts; Bob Paulson, The Nature Conservancy.
- (1:30 p.m.) Roundtable: Prescribed Fire As Management Tool: Jay Esperance, SDDA Wildland Fire Director; David Steffen, Mid Missouri River Prescribed Burn Association; Allen Rowley, USFS; Mary Zimmerman, Black Hills National Forest Advisory Board.
- (3 p.m.) Roundtable: Co-mingled Lands: Ryan Brunner, Commissioner of South Dakota School and Public Lands; Dan Svingen, USFS; Lori “Chip” Kimball, BLM; Chance Davis; Eric Jennings, Hollow Valley Ranch.
- (4 p.m.) Roundtable: Agency Culture Challenges: Christine Dawe, USFS; Mike Wood, High Ridge Leadership; Greg Josten, South Dakota State Forester; Mark Van Every, USFS, Black Hills National Forest Supervisor.
FRIDAY, DEC. 2
- (8 a.m.) Case Study: Active Management and Innovative Markets: Kelsey Delaney, Council of Western State Foresters and Western Forestry Leadership Coalition; Dave Ollila, Sheep Field Specialist, South Dakota State University Extension; Jeff Parrett, Wheeler Lumber, LLC; Steve Kozel, USFS, District Ranger, Black Hills National Forest.
- (9:45 a.m.) Roundtable: Strengthening Collaboration and Collaborative Processes: Bill Smith, SDDA; Craig Bobzien, USFS Black Hills National Forest Supervisor - Retired; Dave Thom, Custer Conservation District & Coordinator of the MPB Working Group; Ben Wudtke, Black Hills Forest Resource Association; Nancy Trautman, Pennington County Commissioner.