Western Governors' National Forest and Rangeland Management Initiative on Oct. 20 in Boise, Idaho.Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch Otter and Jim Lyons, Interior Deputy Assistant Secretary of Land and Minerals Management, addressed the second workshop of the
The two-day (Oct. 20-21) workshop was the second of five hosted across the West by the Western Governors' Association for the central policy initiative of WGA Chair and Montana Gov. Steve Bullock. (Learn about the previous workshop in Missoula, Mont.)
The initiative is designed to examine forest management programs and investigate collaborative forest landscape restoration. The workshops will play a central role in collecting information that will position Western Governors to recommend and promote congressional efforts to improve forest management authorities.
Watch videos of all workshop sessions by using the links below.
- Welcome, Introductory Remarks: James D. Ogsbury, WGA Executive Director; Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter, Idaho; Jim Lyons, U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Roundtable: Forest Management Challenges in Idaho: David Groeschl, Idaho Department of Lands (IDL); Bob Boeh, Idaho Forest Group; Will Whelan, The Nature Conservancy; Shawn Keough, Associated Logging Contractors-Idaho.
- Roundtable: Rangeland Challenges in Western States – Wildfire and Habitat Conservation: Don Kemner, Idaho Department of Fish and Game; Jeremy Maestas, Natural Resources Conservation Service; Mike Courtney, BLM Twin Falls District Manager; Brenda Richards, Owyhee County Rancher; Allen Rowley, USFS Rangeland Management Director.
- Case Study: Power of Partnerships – Rangeland Fire Protection Associations: Julia Sullens, IDL; Steve Acarregui, BLM Fire and Aviation Directorate; Charles Lyons, RFPA Member, Percy Ranch; Darcy Helmick, RFPA Member.
- Case Study: Power of Partnerships – Good Neighbor Authority Success: David Groeschl, IDL; Peg Polichio, IDL GNA Contractor; Cheryl Probert, USFS Nez-Clearwater Forest Supervisor; Zoanne Anderson, Maggie Creek Area Manager, IDL.
- Roundtable: Lessons Learned - Assembling Successful Good Neighbor Authority Projects: Christine Dawe, USFS Acting Director of Forest Management; Craig Foss, IDL; Keith Lannom, USFS Payette Forest Supervisor; Bob Boeh, Idaho Forest Group.
- Day 1 Recap: Tom Schultz, Director, Idaho Department of Lands.
- Roundtable: 2014 Farm Bill Authorities’ Utilization in Idaho: Kelsey Delaney, Council of Western State Foresters; Mary Farnsworth, USFS Acting Deputy Regional Forester; David Anderson, Natural Resource Results; Mikal Moore, National Wild Turkey Foundation.
- Case Study: Facilitating Forest Restoration Through Collaborative Processes: Toni Hardesty, The Nature Conservancy; Liz Johnson-Gebhardt, Priest Community Forest Connection; Alex Irby, Clearwater Basin Collaborative; Rick Tholan, Payette Collaborative; Gina Knudson, USFS Salmon-Challis National Forest; John Robison, Idaho Forest Restoration Partnership.
- Roundtable: Impacts of Forests and Rangelands on Local Governments: Dennis Becker, University of Idaho; Gordon Cruickshank, Valley County Commissioner; Joe Merrick, Owyhee County Commissioner; Don Ebert, Clearwater County Commissioner; Terry Kramer, Twin Falls County Commissioner.
Register now for WGA's 2016 Winter Meeting Dec 13-14 in San Diego, Calif. Get the latest news about the West and its governors by following the Western Governors' Association on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.