The Western Governors' Association 2016 Winter Meeting in California Dec. 13-14 will feature 9 Western Governors discussing topics such as the evolution of the state-federal relationship and rural healthcare. Keynote addresses will examine the inner workings of the Presidential transition and highlight Canada's relationship with western states.
WGA Chair, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, will host the two-day meeting at the historic Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. Western Governors also attending include WGA Vice Chair Dennis Daugaard (South Dakota), Edmund G. Brown (California), John Hickenlooper (Colorado), C.L. "Butch" Otter (Idaho), Susana Martinez (New Mexico), Ralph Torres (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands), Gary Herbert (Utah), and Matt Mead (Wyoming). Meeting highlights will include:
- "Building a Better Presidential Transition," featuring David Eagles of the Partnership for Public Service, will open the meeting. The Partnership is supporting President-elect Donald Trump's team as part of the group's ongoing work to improve the transition process.
- "The Transboundary Report" from Canadian Ambassador David MacNaughton, also on opening day, will highlight issues of common interest between Canada and Western states.
- “Opportunities to Improve the State-Federal Relationship” features the Western Governors in a roundtable discussion about energizing the state-federal relationship and some of the policy issues they will seek to achieve as the new administration moves into office.
- "Life After the Governor’s Mansion" will feature a conversation with former Western Governors Dave Freudenthal of Wyoming and Mike Leavitt of Utah about their transition out of office and work since.
- "Rural Healthcare Challenges & Solutions" will find the Governors and a panel of experts examining the challenges and opportunities for healthcare in the West.
Online meeting registration has closed. Those wanting to sign up onsite at the Hotel del Coronado may do so starting at 3 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 12, If you're unble to attend, you can follow the hashtag #wga16 on Twitter for WGA's live updates.